LEADERSHIP AND DYNAMICS IN FAMILY BUSINESSES
The WIFU Foundation’s Department of Leadership and Dynamics in Family Businesses conducts research and training with a focus on psychological, family psychological and sociological issues around family businesses and the way they interact with the economic sciences. Families and businesses are considered specific social systems from a system-theoretical point of view, whose expectation structures are so different, indeed so contradictory, that their members frequently find themselves in circumstances that can be described as paradoxical.
In concrete terms, we investigate how business families of different sizes handle such ‘impossibilities’,
- what particular conflict situations look like in which the people find themselves, and how they are handled,
- which specific family strategies developed over the medium and long term have proven sustainable, which instruments of family governance have worked in which configurations, and
- what diverse family and business issues concerning company succession arise, and what ways have business families have developed to deal with them.
- Conflicts and conflict management, especially in family businesses
- Psychology of succession
Prof. Dr. Arist von Schlippe
Phone: +49 2302 926 515
Professor Dr Arist von Schlippe is a qualified psychologist, psychological psychotherapist, family therapist and family psychologist. He gained his PhD at Osnabrück University and habilitated there in psychotherapy and clinical psychology. His career began with a five year spell directing wards at two child and youth psychiatric clinics. In 1981 he moved to Osnabrück University, where he taught and researched in psychotherapy and clinical psychology until 2005. He was appointed to the WIFU Foundation Chair of Leadership and Dynamics in Family Businesses in 2005. He was also the Academic Director of WIFU from 2007 to 2017. He remained as the holder of a Chair at WIFU, with a reduced teaching load, after 2017.
Main areas of work, research and interest
- Family governance
- Corporate succession
- Stories in family businesses (‘the power of stories’)
- Communicating values and corporate culture
- Conflict management
- Cross-generational entrepreneurship
- Systemic parent coaching
- Schlippe, A.v., Frank, H. (2017): Conflict in family business in the light of systems theory. In: Kellermanns, F., Hoy, F. (Eds.). The Routledge Companion to Family Business. 367-384. New York: Routledge.
- Schlippe, A.v.; Groth, T. & Rüsen, T. (2017): Die beiden Seiten der Unternehmerfamilie. Familienstrategie über Generationen. Auf dem Weg zu einer Theorie der Unternehmerfamilie. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht.
- Schlippe, A.v.; Schweitzer, J. (2016): Lehrbuch der systemischen Therapie und Beratung I: Das Grundlagenwissen. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht.
- Grossmann, S. & Schlippe, A.v. (2015): Family Businesses: Fertile Environments for Conflict. In: Journal of Family Business Management, Vol. 5, Nr. 2, S. 294-314.
- Schlippe, A.v. (2014): Das kommt in den besten Familien vor. Systemische Konfliktbearbeitung in Familien und Familienunternehmen. Stuttgart: Concadora.
- Schlippe, A.v. & Frank, H. (2013): The Theory of Social Systems as a Framework for Understanding Family Businesses. In: Family Relations, Vol. 62, Nr. 3, S. 384 – 398.
You will find detailed information at:
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Managing large dynastic families
- Ownership, Meaning and Practice
- Die Familiencharta (The family charter – as second assessor, dissertation at Bochum University, first supervisor Professor Dr Katharina Uffmann)
- Die Identität großer Unternehmerfamilien. Identitätspflege als Aufgabe in Mehr-Generationen-Familienunternehmen (The identity of large business families. Identity care as a task in multi-generation family businesses)
- Die Rolle der Frauen und ihre Handlungsspielräume in Familienunternehmen in historischer Perspektive (The role of women and their scope for action in family businesses from a historical perspective)
- Einfluss des vorweggenommenen Eigentumübergangs auf die emotionale Bindung an das Unternehmen (Influence of the anticipated transfer of ownership on the emotional attachment to the company)
- Finanzierung von Familienunternehmen über Beteiligungsgesellschaften (Financing of family businesses through investment companies)
- Unternehmer als familienfremde Beiräte (Entrepreneurs as non-family advisors)
- Dr Thomas Urban: Krisenstrategien und Langlebigkeit von Familienunternehmen aus historischer Perspektive (Crisis strategies and longevity of family businesses from a historical perspective)