Work at the Witten Institute for Family Business (WIFU) is very diverse. In the academic field it includes research and training, while practical exchange involves organising almost 30 academic – and teaching courses. each year. Staff permanently employed at the Institute, our visiting academics, doctoral and scholarship holders – all of us are passionate about research, training, development and the education of potential successors in family businesses as well as organising an exchange of practice and experience among family entrepreneurs and members of business families. To the people who work at WIFU, their work is not just a career, it’s a calling.
The Institute management team is involved mainly in acquiring and publishing research findings for business. Actual issues from industry and business are compiled on an academic basis, and, in collaboration with the WIFU academics, evaluated and presented in practical terms. The practical guidelines, studies and practical publications are made available to the public through a range of communication channels and media. This approach is augmented by a programme of events for family businesses and business families hosted by members of the team at the WIFU Foundation. Our events management team organizes not only events for supporters at the WIFU Foundation, but also a range of independent, interactive event formats aimed at conveying experience reports and academic findings designed to help family businesses and business families prepare for the future.
Both teams work closely to disseminate the knowledge generated at WIFU among the non-academic public. Fundraising done by the WIFU Foundation ensures that the Institute can continue and implement its research strategy.
- Rüsen, T. A.; Kleve, H. Schlippe, A. v. (2021): Managing Business Family Dynasties – Between Family, Organisation, and Network. Springer International Publishin
- Rüsen, T.; Heider, A. (2020): Aktive Eigentümerschaft in Familienunternehmen – Gesellschafterkompetenz in Unternehmerfamilien entwickeln und anwenden.
- Rüsen, T. A.; Heider, A. K. (2020): Die Chancen aufgreifen – Digitalisierungsdynamiken und -strategien in Familienunternehmen. In: Handbuch Digitaler Mittelstand. p. 27 – 32.
- Rüsen, T. A.; Löhe, A. S. (2019): Die Unternehmerfamilie und ihre Familienstrategie – Einblicke in die gelebte Praxis von Family Governance. Studie des Wittener Instituts für Familienunternehmen (WIFU).
- Rüsen, T. A.; Schlippe, A. v.; Kleve, H. (2019): Die dynastische Großfamilie. Skizze eines spezifischen Typus von Unternehmerfamilien. In: Kleve. H.; Köllner, T. (Hrsg.); Die Soziologie der Unternehmerfamilie. Grundlagen, Entwicklungslinien, Perspektiven. Wiesbaden: Springer VS, p. 225-247.
- Schlippe, A.v; Groth, T. & Rüsen, T. (2018): Die beiden Seiten der Unternehmerfamilie. Familienstrategie über Generationen. Göttingen: V&R Verlag, 2nd edition
- Rüsen, T. (2016): Krisen und Krisenmanagement in Familienunternehmen. Heidelberg: Springer, 2nd edition
The Department of Organisation and Development of Business Families researches the family side of family businesses. On the basis of a range of social science perspectives, we investigate what it means to members of business families to be born into this type of family.
Prof. Dr. Heiko Kleve
Academic Director/ Chairholder Organisation and Development of Business Families
I have enjoyed being part of WIFU for almost ten years. During this time I have been able to assist in a number of fundamental developments. It never gets boring – it is fun working in a team, dealing with varied daily affairs and having the freedom to contribute part of oneself.
Executive Assistant / Secretariat WIFU-Foundation
I have been steering WIFU’s fortunes for over ten years. During this time, working with researchers and family entrepreneurs has become a labour of love. I would not hesitate to say that I have the world’s best job. My career is my calling.
Prof. Dr. Tom A. Rüsen
CEO WIFU Foundation/Managing Director WIFU
Working at WIFU is especially fascinating because I work together with people of practice and people of theory. I work simultaneously in two completely different marketing areas, and I serve two target groups. Different points of view enlarge my own perspective and my daily work is never dull.
Project Manager Online Marketing
CAREERS AT WIFU
WIFU offers various jobs and opportunities for funding in research and training. Find out here about the latest offers.